28 April 2008

On Epigraphs and Angel Wings

I am a fan of epigraphs. I have seen them used to great affect in novels I admire (American Psycho, for example.) And for my own novel--We, The Dreamers--I may have found a perfect choice.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
--- Lucretius.
Considering one of the central themes of the novel, and the larger work of which it is a part, is human solidarity (without need of anything to succeed but H. sapiens), and since there is an angel-wing motif in there (designed to evoke the idea of the angelic figure in Italian sonnets, not anything religious), the quote might fit very well.

The quote might also come off as too cheesy. The point of the inclusion would not be a sappy, romantic notion of "finding the one who completes you." The point is human solidarity, divorced of all other prerequisites.

Just for shits and giggles, I considered:
We may now summarize our characterization of authentic Being-towards-death as we have projected it existentially: anticipation reveals to Dasein its lostness in the they-self, and brings it face to face with the possibility of being itself, primarily unsupported by concernful solitude, but of being itself, rather, in an impassioned freedom towards death--a freedom which has been released from the Illusions of the "They", and which is factical, certain of itself, and anxious.
--- Heidegger
I don't think it would work very well, but for the record I think that sentence of Being and Time is absolutely incredible. I can honestly say it changed my life.

No comments: